Week one of the One Room Challenge has come to a close and we begin week 2. So how is it going you ask? Well, it’s going just ok. I spent the weekend in denial and bought a ticket aboard the S.S. Procrastinator. I sat on the couch watching movies with my husband most of the weekend. Then Monday hit and I realized, oh crap I have a lot to do! So I started by painting the walls of the room a very light grey/beige. (Sherwin Williams Eider White 7014) I am very pleased with the color. I would love to say I quickly moved on to the next project but as usual I did a dumb thing. Before I painted, I grabbed a washable marker and made some notes on the wall, because after all, it washes off. Well it turns out, I grabbed the wrong marker and it did not wash off. DOH! So I attempted to paint over it but it would not be silenced. I tried Kilz and that didn’t work. I sanded it and that made it worse. Now I can add spackling to my list of projects. Fortunately, I have become good at spackling since little brown dog has developed a taste for drywall. He is not the brightest bulb. Anyway, a day later, several more coats of Kilz and the wall was done. Yep, that went just as planned.
One Room Challenge: Wall Plans
I started sketching out my mural plan for the wall behind the bed. The more I sketched the more I questioned whether a mural was the best choice for the look I am going for. My mind kept going to the shark tooth pattern from my mood board. That is when I completely changed my plan. (Warning! Plan changes may happen a lot. Just ask the husband). Then I did even more sketches and decided I wanted to paint the shark tooth pattern instead of a mural. I cut out a template with my Silhouette cutter and drew the outline of the shark teeth pattern on the wall.
I started painting. After I had the wall almost done I realized it wasn’t right. I didn’t like the color of the teeth so I got out my wall paint once again and painted over all of it. I started over and this time thinned the paint down and used it like watercolor.
This is much closer to my vision and I am pleased with how it is coming along. I plan on sharing the steps in a future post. This is where we are as of today . I will be finishing the wall over the next few days.
Okay so I have a lot of work to do. But then I will be moving on to making over the furniture. As you can see, this old set needs lots of help.
So to recap here is the check list and progress so far…
Master Task List
1. Sit on the couch for 2-3 days knowing full well I have more work to do then can possibly be done in the time allotted for the challenge. (Check)
2. Get excited and remove all the furniture out of the teenager’s room forgetting the teenage still needs a bed to sleep in. (Check)
3. Become a master problem solver and offer teenager the couch. (Check)
4. Repaint room. (and multiply times I might add) (Check)
5. Create a rock solid plan and completely change it the next day. (Check)
6. Come up with a brilliant plan to hand paint a repeating pattern on the wall. And then listen to husband tell you it’s not so brilliant because wallpaper has already been invented. (Check)
7. Finish hand painting the “wallpaper”. (incomplete but making progress)
8. Refinish screaming ugly bedroom furniture. (incomplete but making progress)
9. Paint giant canvas for wall art. (not even close)
10. Purchase or repurpose lighting for the room. (not even close)
11. Cease all cooking and laundry subsequently pushing husband to his breaking point with wife’s crazy train projects. (incomplete but making progress)
12. Purchase bedding. (not even close)
13. Create a cornice for the window. (not even close)
14. Build new desk and shelves. (not even close. side note: The likely hood of this happening may be on par with finding bigfoot )
There you have it week 1 complete. Now bring on week 2.
The spackling part of this post is sponsored by Ray the wall licker.
Receive smiles in your inbox!
Join my mailing list to stay up-to-date on all my DIY Projects, Thrifty Décor Ideas and Family Fun!.